Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fate?

I'm back.
I've gotten a surprising amount of response this time around. From people suddenly realizing I haven't been around all year and learning I have a disease to a surprising comparison to Carrie Bradshaw that while appreciated, is definetly not yet deserved. (By the way, thanks Jess)
Either way, I love that you're reading. Got comments or suggestions? Let me know. I love to hear from you all!

I've got the subject of fate on the brain. Whether or not you believe in fate, you must agree that some things are just too coincidental. Like the birth of a puppy on the same day of your diagnosis (Juno was born Dec 7, 2007... the day of the scopes that found my disease) or something like what happened to me today.
Sitting at Mama Fu's with my own Mama Baartmans, the conversation turned, as it often does, to the future. We talked about my summer camp at Point Park, and possibly getting an internship next year. Mom mentioned Charlotte Taste magazine and maybe seeing if I could swing an internship there.
We walked home, and a few hours later I walked into my mom's bathroom to grab a hair tie, when I saw a copy of Charlotte Taste. I opened up to a random page to find a lengthy story featuring Odyssey of the Mind World Finals. Needless to say, I was excited to read the article. As I read the usual praise for OM (wonderful kids, great program, inspiring, etc) and nodded in agreement, I couldn't help but smile. The last paragraph took me by surprise. The author of the article (who happens to be the editor-in-chief) said that from that day on she would automatically grant an interview to anyone who could put OM on their resume.
I breathlessly called my mom to alert her of this odd coincidence. She was as surprised as I was, then asked me what year the magazine was from. I looked and said it was August/Sept. 2006. She laughed, saying that the gorgeous white chocolate ravioli on the cover was something she had made while working at Delectables by Holly. All together, I thought this experience was a too much of a coincidence. Who knows what will come of this, maybe I can swing an internship there.

When you've been through a year like mine, you have to believe in fate. You have to believe in God, and people and yourself. Without the ability to believe that life is good, I would have gone crazy a long time ago. I know this reeks of cheese, but it's true. I don't want to preach, and I would never force my beliefs on anyone. I'll leave you with this though.
Believe in something, anything. Whether it be God, fate, love or the flying spaghetti monster, hold on to your beliefs.

No comments: