American Idol. There's something about it, that despite years of too many commercials, too much drunk Paula and a surplus of mediocre singers... draws us in.
Maybe it's the idea of instant fame. What child doesn't grow up dreaming of fame and fortune? Idol gives the everyday American a chance to live in the glamorous fast lane to superstardom.
If not that, maybe its the rise of reality tv. I think this decade will be remembered as the age of reality. Not just talent competitions but competitions for money, love or just 15 seconds of fame.
Tell me, when as a country did we become so shallow that we were willing to watch 15 trashy girls compete for a man who calls himself Flava Flav? How did that become must-see tv?
Where are the days of the well-written drama or the traditional sitcom?
I'm not saying ALL reality tv is bad. I'm actually a huge Survivor fan and admittedly watch America's Next Top Model. MY problem is that reality tv has become so omnipresent that everyone thinks they deserve a reality dating show. If, a few years ago, you heard that "Farmer Wants a Wife" would be a show ACTUALLY AIRED ON TV, what would your reaction be? These days it seems like any reality show will do, as long as there's overblown drama and trashy Americans.
As we approach summer, the programming only gets worse. Everyone knows very few summer shows are actually worth watching. So until fall and the return of REAL reality, I'll probably be avoiding the genre.
It's America's guilty pleasure. Let's just hope the standards go up.
Well, I better go. I'm slightly embarrassed to say I'll be watching the rest of this shamefully drawn out finale.
Seacrest... er Baartmans OUT.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment